Saturday, June 03, 2006

Home from Conference

Well, we had a wonderful conference and a good time to boot! After checking in Tuesday night, we were off to Ryan's. Of course, we over did it so the next stop was mini golf to work some of the food off. The only time it rained while we were gone was starting at the 13th hole. We were having such a good time that we just kept playing and giggling. I wonder if a stately hotel like the Arlington has ever had three drowned rats as guests? They have now!

The conference started Wednesday morning and we had a good opening session. It is always good to see the people I have met before and also to meet new friends. We got out early enough to get in a little shopping and then Red Lobster. Once again we were full so we went back to the hotel, rested a few minutes and then started streetwalking. Oops, I meant walking downtown to see the sights and shops and try to walk off supper.

During our excursion we came across Maxine's. For any of you who may be interested, it is on the south (I think) end of Bathhouse Row in Hot Springs and has a very colorful history. It was operated as a saloon, gambling hall and brothel in the 1900's. It also seems that Maxine died in Warren which is a neighboring town near home. We hit it lucky since the week before Maxine's had started a weekly local blues band session. I was in heaven! We got there just as they got started and stayed for three hours of very good entertainment for only a $2.00 cover charge. I may retire and start a blues club in downtown Monticello. We surely have some talent here also and it is too far to drive to Hot Springs each Wednesday night.

Thursday was very informational as we broke off into different small sessions. My favorite was the Sex Offender Registry class. The lady in charge of this department at ACIC is a retired police chief and she is very interesting in her presentations. I think I would enjoy working for her if I lived in Little Rock.

Friday morning was long since by then we were all about ready to go home. The last meal was at Cracker Barrel and then a flying trip home. Jack and Gypsy were overjoyed to see me and I was overjoyed to be home. Abby spent the night and we slept in until ten this morning.

Once again I have had a memorable week and am glad to be alive to enjoy the life that God has provided. Ain't life grand!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I should have gone with you. You've had such a good time I'd have enjoyed being a little mouse! Let me know when it's a good time to get with you to hear more about it. Love ya, Mom

Kristy said...

I know a little girl who is glad you came back. She loves spending the night at Memaw's. Let me know when you open your bar - I'll work for you :)