Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Good Thing

Today I found a dead mouse while in the presence of my granddaughter, Abby. As we talked about it later, the conversation naturally turned to the fact that I need a cat to chase away the mice. Abby brought up the subject of her mother's mean cat that always bit me.

This is the cat that took one too many bites and was chased around the house and finally out the door. After not seeing the cat for several days I started looking and found him expired and in an unkempt state which I will forego describing. Let it be understood that it was not too traumatic for me to find him dead but was rather a relief since he had sent me to the doctor on one occasion.

Anyway, Abby brought up this cat and asked me his name. I told her "Sebastian".

"Well, where is Sebastian, Mammaw?"

"In cat heaven."

"That's a good thing."

Well, needless to say I almost rolled in the floor laughing because the way she said it sounded kinda like "good riddance - he won't be biting you any more". I love the conversations I have with this child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Meemaw, do be careful how you assign Sebastion to cat heaven. He was a beautiful cat and Kristy loved him. Only those two things made him eligible to enter cat heaven. The flip side of that is that he WAS so mean to you. The only reason you didn't kick him all over the back yard is that he could run faster than you. Mom

Diana Harton said...

Hey...just wanted to let you know that I am still lurking in the shadows.