Monday, August 21, 2006

Woman Sunday School Teacher Fired

Well, I saw on the ABC News tonight an interesting story regarding the firing of an eighty-one year old woman who had been teaching Sunday School a number of years. The pastor quoted scripture saying a woman was not to have authority over a man and should keep silent in the church. Since when does a Sunday School teacher have authority over anyone? I too teach a class with both men and women but the only authority with which I speak is the authority of the Word of God. The Bible speaks in it's own authority. I would be a fake and a fraud if I spoke in my own authority.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people would like to exclude the female half of the population from speaking God's Word. My opinion is that God would be more than happy for any Christian to speak out the Truth of the Gospel. Galatians 3:28 says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." So come on, give me a break from gender exclusion in the Sunday School.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope no one takes me seriously when I say this...... Let's just
start us a womens only Sunday School. The men couldn't stand it could they.
The first adult class I taught a man came over and said we don't have anyone to teach this class I guess you'll have to. I did. Men and women. Tell them HO HUM and go
ahead with what you're good at.