Saturday, September 22, 2007

Alaska Weather During My Trip

Several people have asked about the weather in Alaska while I was there. To me it was a little like November and December here. The temperature during the day was in the upper 50's to low 60's. Then at night it dipped into the mid to upper 40's. Most days when the sun was shining I was comfortable in short sleeves as long as I stayed in the sunshine. If I got into the shade I needed a long sleeve shirt. First thing in the mornings it was usually a bit cool in the house until I got up and going. Then I was okay. It was overcast and drizzled rain a good bit of the time I was there which made it a little cooler. Most days I wore a tee shirt and kept a denim shirt handy to throw on.

The leaves on the trees were starting to turn yellow. We were told that they do not turn red, just yellow, before the leaves fall. The picture above was taken on September 3. By the time I left on the 14th there were many more yellow leaves and some snow was showing up on some of the upper mountains. It was a very beautiful place and I saw God's handiwork all around me. Sometimes I am like a child seeing something for the first time when I visit a new place. Alaska is awe-inspiring and I have no words to describe the greatness of God's creation and creatures.

No comments: