Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Architecture & Landscaping

During my life I have had several different jobs which has been much more suited to my personality than working at one career all my life. One of those jobs has been selling real estate. So naturally, Alaska real estate very quickly caught my attention. There are no brick houses in Alaska, at least none that I saw. Wood seems to be the main building material and the yards are mostly rocky and scrubby. The duplex above is where Mike, Kristy, Abby and Lilly live. Quite lovely, although very different than our grassy yards here. They don't own a lawn mower but had a snow blower given to them during my visit.

This is the Christian radio station where they volunteer some time each week. As you can see, when it rains a good bit there are puddles of water on the grassless lawn. Now please don't think I am criticizing the terrain. It is awesome! The mountains had me humming "purple mountains majesty". The terrain is truly majestic and very rugged looking which I loved.


Another example of the architecture is Miller's Market in Houston where the radio station is located. It is a combination grocery, gift shop, expresso stop, ice cream shop, cafe, post office, etc. Most of the businesses are located on the "main road". The residential section is not laid out in town blocks but is very spread out, sort of like our rural subdivisions with house scattered along the way.

Of course, my pictures would not be complete without one of the Wasilla Police Department. Quite modern looking and spacious compared to our department here in Monticello. Time went by faster than I anticipated and I never took the time to visit and check out the inside and see how our equipment compares. Maybe next trip.






No comments: