Friday, May 05, 2006

How Do I Get Myself Into These Things?

Well, it has been three weeks since my wonderful Maggie died and here I go again. At the police department where I work I am in charge of dog adoptions. This week a man called wanting to return a dog he adopted about a week ago. After explaining that we did not repossess, my mouth opened one more time (seemingly of its own accord) and said that I would come by after work and take a look at her for myself. I looked and she won my heart.

On the way home I stopped to show her off and while there we discovered much to my chagrin that she was in heat (now I know why he wanted to return her and that is not the story I got). So I put her in the friend's dog pen overnight since I could not bring her home to Jack, my Jack Russell Terrier. Yesterday, I took her to the vet to get her "fixed". Then it was off to her new home this afternoon.

Well, even though she is fixed, Jack does not seem to understand. He has begged on his knees and she will not let him near her. Tonight is stretching out before my eyes as the longest night in history. The sound of whining and yelping may last an eternity. I'm thinking of drugging Jack with a Benadryl so we can all sleep.

The next delimma is what to name her. The rascal I got her from was calling her Sweetie but I can't seem to take to that name. My granddaughter, Abby votes for Snickers. She is solid black and does have a sweet personality, at least she did before Jack started pestering her. If any of you have a name suggestion, please share it with me. When I get her named I will post a new blog.

So the name game is on. Help!!!!!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

You've been a sucker for little puppies for a long time - maybe since Uncle D talked you into getting me our first dog, Mac. Now, as far as names go, my favorite was not mentioned. I'm hurt. Everyone will surely agree that Jill is the perfect name for her. Jack and Jill would make quite a pair!

Ginger said...

Sorry! I am considering Jill. Although this new side of her of baring her teeth and growling at Jack makes me think Maxine might be a good name. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I was set to vote with Abby (just because she's Abby) for the name Snickers. Then here comes Kristy with Jill. Now I back out. Name her what you want to. Does she look like Maggie? Mom

Anonymous said...

What about "Lucky" b/c she sure is "Lucky" to have you :), Mandy said to name her Oreo, Holly said to name her Midnight, Kimberly said "Josie". So, there you have it... some names to think of.

Anonymous said...

I say name her Jill. Even though she has a temper about Jack pestering her, I think Jill will be an ok name.

After all, the "real" Jill was probably pretty p.o'd at Jack for causing them to fall down, so it wouldn't be unusual for a "Jill" to have a little bit of bite.