Friday, April 14, 2006

THE PASSING OF A LOYAL FRIEND




Yesterday was a sad day for Jack and me. Jack is my Jack Russell Terrier which I rescued 2 years ago. Wednesday night my other dog, Maggie, never came to the porch to eat. Since she was 14 to 15 years old, I feared the worst even though it was not unusual for her to come in later. And sure enough, Thursday morning I found her, lying under the porch, at final rest.

Maggie came to live with my family following an ice storm in 1992 or 93. During that ice storm we had another dog put to sleep, Mac. His back had gone out and he was in pain. The roads were impassable and Shreveport was the closest place for back surgery so we had no options. We missed him badly.

My sister, Gloria, and her family lived in Arkansas City at the time. She called me nearly everyday for about a month trying to get me to come over and see the prettiest little dog who had come to their house during the ice storm. I held out for a month and then finally gave in. When I got there and sat down on the couch, sure enough the prettiest little dog I had ever seen came walking across the floor and jumped up beside me. It was love at first sight. We rode home with her chin resting on my lap like she had found her place. The picture above was Maggie as a young dog, right after she entered our lives.

Every morning when I leave for work, Jack and Maggie have been running alongside me all the way to the corner of the road. This morning as I left, Jack just sat on the porch watching me leave. After a few days, I may have to get another companion for Jack.

For those of you who know me, I always try to inject humor into almost every situation. I called Gloria yesterday to help me bury Maggie. Since she was there from the first, I felt she should share in the last day. As we sniffed and snotted and dug, I stopped for a second and said, "I feel like someone should bring out a ham and some casseroles." We both laughed for a minute and then went back to digging.

Will Rogers kind of summed up how I feel about my dogs: "If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they are."

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I hate that you lost Maggie, Mom...she was a great dog! I will make a casserole if you really want one and it would make it better:)

Anonymous said...

I've just now taken time to REALLY cry over the loss of Maggie. She and Jack always ran to meet me before I could ever turn into your driveway. I rolled my window down and we talked all the way to your door where I reached in and got them both a doggie bone. I'll come out there when you are ready for me but I might cry just a little. I know Jack misses her too. Mom

Anonymous said...

Well thanks ALOT for sharing about your loss. I just LOVE to cry, snot and wipe while I am reading your blog!! :-(

Seriously, I am very, very sorry to hear about Maggie. I smiled when I read about how and where she died. I hope to go that peaceful and loved. (Of course, some people want me to go peaceful NOW!! LOL)

Tell Kristy to let me know when when she cooks the casserole and I'll thaw out the ham Sluggo got for Christmas from his boss. (And you thought nobody loved you!!! JK)

Sorry about Maggie, Ginger. PLEASE go look at the dog shelter here for Jack a buddy. Just call it a present from the Easter Bunny!!!

Love you!

Mary Kay

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sis,
I'm just now able to read your blog. I've made some adjustments to my screen - I was having trouble with fine print! Go figure!

We will all miss Maggie - I'm crying again now! It's a good kind of crying though. She was a good girl - no bad memories.

Of course ya'll, we called roll of all the pets that day and appropriately sat on the porch and chatted for a while afterwards.
A breakfast casserole would have been most appreciated! Gloria

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your Maggie. Pets are such important members of our families and I know that there is an empty spot in your heart. Just know that there are "pet people" out here that know how you feel.
XOXO